The program focuses on the following objectives:
1. Review the basic principles of Business Writing.
2. Understand what key message is, and how to deliver it in a courteous, clear, correct, and concise way.
3. Practice using positive language, especially when giving bad news.
4. Understand how to adjust the language for different types of readers.
5. Develop scanning and summarizing skills.
6. Learn how to convey the core messages from a longer text / report to the recipient.
7. Gain proofreading skills to give your writing the professional touch.
- Getting started: the four stages of writing, mind maps, bullet points, etc.
- Case study: the impact of poor communication on business.
- The 7 ‘C’s of written communication.
- The inverted pyramid style of writing.
• Delivering the key message.
• Stating a clear purpose using the 4 ‘i’s.
- Using positive word power in negative situations.
- Using the right words to suit your audience.
- Scanning and summarising.
- Putting it into practice.
• Writing a complaint email.
• Responding to customer complaint letters / emails.
• Accepting and declining invitations courteously.
• Financial collection letters.
• Covering letters for job applications.
• Dealing with non-response to previous communications.
• Sending confirmations and polite reminders.
- Proofreading skills.